Saturday, November 7, 2009

CJ - Day Three

I took two afternoons off to go trail riding. The weather's been lovely. A very accomplished rider friend of mine rode Kasper (I thought she deserved a ride on the Big Comfy Couch) and I rode Peter, and we had to pass an excavator and a dump truck! Kasper skirted sideways into the ditch and edged his way through some willows, but he came back onto the road quite calmly as if he was embarrassed he'd ever stepped off. Last year, the same vehicles would have put him in a bolt for home!

Today, CJ and I ground drove around the corral and I practiced Gee and Haw, consistently this time. At almost dusk, a small grey owl came out and soared low over the pasture hunting, so it was a little hard for me to keep my eyes on CJ. Kasper and Peter seemed entranced by the owl. It hunted close by, diving for voles. Very silently.

When the owl disappeared, I practiced driving CJ from off to the side, because soon I'll have him dragging a tire and I need to be off to one side. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be, and we did just fine.

Here's a clip of Kasper kicking up his heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment